Trip'08.. to Williams, AZ

So, I kept telling Heather that I wanted to see Devil's Golf Course on our way through Death Valley. When we arrived there, though, she said she had thought it was going to be an actual golf course.. hehe.

She brought something funny up, once we got to see it - a reason they named that crazy salt valley floor the "devil's" golf course. Imagine you are in hell - and you had to golf in that valley. It would be impossible to find your ball in all those crevices and camouflage; and about as impossible to swing and hit the ball. Haha. Kinda like that milk commercial where the guy gets a huge cookie and then all the milk cartons are empty.

Aside from Death Valley, we also got to see Lone Pine in the morning, and Hoover Dam in the afternoon. We did a salami sandwich lunch on the road in Parumph, NV. There were some crazy winds out there and a couple of mini-storms of sand off in the distance. Other than that, it was smooth sailing. So why did we stop in Williams, AZ? Because it is the gateway to the Grand Canyon, of course! We had a Route 66 special at the Pizza Factory for dinner. The only semi-spoiler was that I ordered it with anchovies, but they were easy enough to pick off for those among the faint of heart. (ahem)

ps: I have a new favorite stretch of highway. When we came out of Vegas on 515, traffic in the fast lane was going fully 90mph+ for minute-long stretches at a time. That even beats the I80/causeway average between Sac and Davis. Cool!

3 comments:

Sarah said...

I went golfing the other day. Yes, that place would be hell.
Salami sandwiches totally remind me of our family trips everywhere (esp death valley).

N said...

I just told Heather that was my first salami sandwich in years - since way back then. I think we all had a love/hate relationship with that stuff? It is tasting better now; somehow befitting of the Death Valley / National Park environs :)

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you started a blog. Now my family is finally entering into this new world. Well, kind of, at least through Nathan. Come on Heather, you can do it! Love you guys, mom